Scroll Top

Federal Internship for Newcomers

The Federal Internship for Newcomers program provides short-term work experience for permanent residents, former refugees, and Canadian citizens who have been in Canada for less than 10 years. The program is delivered in partnership with 16 immigrant-serving organizations (ISOs) in the National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau), the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), St. John’s, and Victoria. Public service partners (federal, provincial and municipal departments and agencies) are currently providing opportunities for these highly qualified newcomers.

Learn about
  • How to gain valuable work experience that will enhance career opportunities
  • How to enhance your employability skills to apply for long-term employment
  • How to build networks through a mentoring relationship for the duration of the internship
  • Participate in orientation sessions and access essential training including cross-cultural awareness
  • How to better integrate into the Canadian labour market
  • The Federal Internship for Newcomers (FIN) Program application process for 2023-2024 is now closed.
  • Have a post-secondary degree, except for some administrative positions where it’s only an asset.
  • Register with a FIN program partner immigrant-serving organization (ISO) and get a full screening at least a month before the application dates. Contact the ISO as far ahead of the deadline as possible to make sure there is time for a full assessment.
  • A permanent resident or a Canadian citizen for 10 years or less counting from:
    • the day they became a permanent resident
    • the day they apply
  • Live or work in Toronto (or within a 125 kilometre radius)
  • Prove that they have the necessary language skills in English or French; show diplomas, transcripts, or certificates from a recognized, post-secondary institution to prove their English or French language skills. The institution may be in Canada or abroad, and their documents must:
    • Show that they successfully graduated or completed a program in English or in French
    • Show their documents in English or French, otherwise the client should: include a translation of the original document; submit a letter from the institution that proves the instruction language was English or French

Funded by: Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada