Becoming suddenly unemployed during the time of COVID-19 will give you a roller coaster of emotions resulting in you feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Like many Canadians, you may be facing a difficult time with a sudden loss of work. The real question is, what’s next? And how do I get there?
Remember these tips if you find yourself in this situation:
- ASK FOR HELP! – Job Skills offices may be closed but a quick phone call will put you personally in touch with an Employment Consultant to work with you during these uncertain times. Call the number on the Job Skills website to connect today!
- Apply for benefits – Including Employment Insurance or the new Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). The links to apply are on the Job Skills website. Regardless of your EI status, you may be eligible for these benefits for up to four months. The online application is uncomplicated and quick to complete. Funds can be received by cheque or direct deposit and take 3-10 days to arrive.
- Stay structured – Keep focused and try to keep a structured job search (check out our blog on 9 Tips to help with your online job search).
- Stick to a routine – Keep yourself in a routine, both physically and mentally. Schedule time for breakfast, lunch, dinner and time for exercise – remembering social distancing of course! Keep yourself busy, this can relieve the stress of job search!
- Use all of the available resources – Job Skills’ website has a whole list of helpful links. Free resources in your community are available to assist you with your job search. Find out where they are and utilize them. Inquire about programs that you may be eligible for when you speak with an Employment Consultant to help research your next career and your next steps.
- Don’t forget about networking! – Join in to webinars, online meetings via ZOOM or Skype to stay connected. Your online social network and tools like LinkedIn are a great way to keep your profile up to date and search out new opportunities.
- Alternate opportunities – Look for temporary opportunities with companies that ARE hiring: grocery stores, delivery services, manufacturers that have ramped up to serve the healthcare industry, retailers offering online services.
As a way to help, Job Skills has online workshops that will assist you in your current job search situation. Watch for the dates and times to register for our online workshops as well as lots of great links and resources to assist you! There is a job out there for you now or when the job market reopens. Stay calm and carry on.
If you haven’t connected with an Employment Consultant at Job Skills NOW is the time to get that one-on-one support you need as you move through the new way of working. Call Job Skills toll free at 1-866-592-6278 to connect to one of Job Skill’s experts.