Please note that not all workshops are available at all Centres. Click here to get the free Adobe Reader for PDF documents.
Keswick Employment Services
Markham Employment Services
Brampton Employment Services
Job Skills offers monthly resume clinics to provide you with some one-on-one feedback. Be sure to register and come with your most up-to-date resume!
Second Career is an Ontario Government program that helps you train for a new job. If you were laid off any time after January 1, 2005 you may be eligible to apply for Second Career. This session will provide step-by-step information about the eligibility and suitability criteria for Second Career and will discuss the financial support that may be available, along with direction for next steps in the process.
Apprenticeship is a hands-on training program for people who want to work in a skilled trade that can lead to a rewarding career in a high demand market. This session discusses some of the skilled trades in Ontario and the process for becoming an apprentice.
Changing careers can be scary and exciting all at the same time. This workshop series will de-mystify the whole career exploration process and give you the tools that you need to make a clear career decision. The series of 4 workshops is highly recommended to be done in order, but you can attend individual sessions as needed.
- Career Exploration 1: Personality & Career Fit: Unclear of your career direction? Start by understanding yourself through Personality Dimensions.
- Career Exploration 2: Skills & Abilities: Here you’ll learn what skills and abilities you have, which ones you want to use, and where you need to develop.
- Career Exploration 3: Exploring Skills, Values, and Change: Learn about your perfect work environment including your key work values, wants, must-haves, and work stressors. We’ll also explore the benefits and the fear of change.
- Career Exploration 4: Labour Market Research: This workshop explores the ever-changing Labour Market landscape and the affects it has on our job choices. You’ll learn about and use tools, tips and research techniques that will help you choose the best career option for you.
This workshop focuses on the communication cycle and its impact on effective communication within the workplace. Topics include various modes of communication, face-to-face, phone, text, e-mail, and social media. Sharpen your communication skills and gain strategies to deal with future workplace communication barriers/challenges.
A workshop focused on the professional “You”. You will explore ways to better market yourself to employers by understanding the essential skills needed for job readiness. This interactive workshop will enable participants to evaluate their level of job readiness and how to retain meaningful employment.
Do you think employers are making hiring decisions based on age? Unfortunately there are some biases and misconceptions that do exist. We can’t change our age, but we can change assumptions that are made about us “over 40 job searchers”. It just requires some preparation. Join us for this informative workshop to gain some strategic methods to help you triumph over negative age-related stereotypes!
Are you concerned that your job search efforts are suffering because you’re just not sure how to do it in this electronic age? Come out to this workshop and we’ll take an in-depth look at LinkedIn and how it is impacting the hiring process. Together we’ll walk through a LinkedIn profile and navigate the tools that LinkedIn has to offer that will help you gain and keep that competitive edge.
Are you good with computers but need to build your confidence? In this self-directed workshop you’ll be given time to explore a variety of computer programs and skills:
- on-line safety
- digital skills
- MS Office Suite (2000-2013, XP)
- Life Skills
- Money Management
- Workplace Skills
Laptops will be provided, but if you have your own, feel free to bring it. We also recommend that you bring headphones or ear-buds to listen to the tutorials.
Does your life circumstance keep you from working outside of the home? Have you ever thought of working from home but wondered if some of those opportunities you have heard about are for real? Then you won’t want to miss this new workshop!
You have heard about those various Work From Home opportunities like:
- Transcription Services
- Translation Services
- Mystery Shoppers
- Home Call Centre Agents
- Online Surveys Gaming
- and many more…
But are they legitimate or are they a scam? Our workshop will teach you how to complete your own research into the different opportunities and how to investigate and finally to validate true opportunities. We also provide you with helpful hints and the Do’s and Dont’s for the WFH opportunities like, “NEVER SEND MONEY”!
At work we communicate across functions and levels, making it essential that we possess the ability to communicate with one another effectively and clearly. That is why we need to learn to be assertive! In this workshop, we’ll discuss the differences between submissive, assertive, and aggressive behaviour and we explore the principles we need to apply to act assertively.
Is a strong work ethic optional? No, it’s a must! This informative workshop will clarify the importance of work ethics, the role of body language in communication, and the essential skills sought by employers. This workshop will prepare you to meet and possibly exceed the expectations of your future employers when it comes to your commitment to working and working well.
Thinking about changing your career? Do you really know who you are? Do you know how to express yourself appropriately? Do you appreciate yourself and others? Well, here is the good news: Most of these questions can be answered through the Personality Dimensions assessment which will reveal your temperament preferences. The knowledge of your temperament/nature will create a common language of understanding of yourself and others. Don’t miss this fun and interactive workshop!
Computer, Internet and Email Basics
Are you concerned that you can’t job search because you struggle with computers? Join Ruth Berry from the Georgina Public Libraries and she will show you how to get started using a computer, creating a document, how to set up and use an email account, how to search the internet, and more! This 2 hour workshop will provide you with the basics to get you started.
- Intermediate MS Word with Ruth Berry: Are you looking to learn about more features in Microsoft Word 2010? Participants will learn advanced formatting, use Word 2010 drawing tools, create and manage tables, and work with column layouts. Pre-register as spaces are limited!
- Excel for Beginners with Ruth Berry: Working with figures and data can be a challenging task, but Microsoft Excel makes organizing a spreadsheet simple and efficient. This class introduces participants to Excel 2013, including: how to navigate an Excel spreadsheet, how to insert and format data, and how to work with simple formulas.
Have you ever wondered about these career questions?
- What do I want in a career?
- What kind of working conditions will be rewarding?
- What kind of jobs appeal to me based on my values and skills?
Two non-threatening assessments will be administered to help you improve your job satisfaction and identify areas of proficiency and motivation. These assessments will enable you to prioritize your career values and identify your motivated skills for success. If you seek personal and career satisfaction, then join us for this great workshop for job seekers and career changers of all ages and stages.
Business Start Up Requirements Information Session with Don De Los Santos
Do you have an idea for starting a business, but are not sure of how or where to start? It can certainly be an exciting prospect, but making your start up successful requires a lot of hard work and careful research. To begin the process, please join us for this information session where we walk you through the basic, business start-up requirements and considerations.
Soft Skills Solutions Certificate Program
With a diverse and ever-changing workforce, employers continue to struggle to find employees who not only have the right technical skills, but also have the right soft skills. Master the workplace skills that are in demand by signing up for this free 5-day training course!
Youth Job Search – Are you 15-29?
- Do you need some guidance on how to write an effective resume?
- Nervous about interviews?
- Not sure what education you should pursue?
- Finished school and need to figure out what do with your education?
Join us weekly to meet with our Facilitator and other youth sharing the same concerns. Together you’ll work on exploring career or educational pathways; learn about and receive help with an effective job search; and gain the skills necessary to find and keep a job.